What Is Aeroseal, And What Does It Do?
Created by the company of the same name, Aeroseal is a spray-based sealant technology for the ductwork in homes. Aeroseal fills and seals small to medium leaks in the ductwork—from the inside—throughout your home. This increases airflow efficiency, improves air quality, and can even reduce dust throughout your home.
Where do duct leaks come from? How bad are they?
New or old, loose seals and cracks in ductwork occur in 3 out of 4 homes. These gaps can leak 25–40% of the heated and cooled air meant for the living areas in your home. Dust and moisture can enter the return ductwork from anywhere around the gaps, clogging your air filter faster than usual. This leaves your system to run at higher speeds for longer times, resulting in higher energy bills.
How does Aeroseal fix the leaks? What benefits does it have?
Aeroseal is an aerosol-based sealant applied through the air vents in your home. It adheres to cracks and gaps—up to 5/8″ diameter—to seal your entire ductwork from the inside. Aeroseal guarantees it will last 10 years, and could last up to 30+ years. Aeroseal-treated ducts can bring two key benefits: lower energy costs and a cleaner home. With Aeroseal, your Dandelion Geothermal system can deliver more heated/cooled air directly to your living areas with lower speeds and with shorter run times. The ductwork picks up fewer particulates, extending the life of air filters and reducing dust around your home.
Aeroseal was added to my Dandelion order. Is Aeroseal required?
When we survey your home, we test for ductwork leakage. If substantial leaks are present, we add Aeroseal to your order by default to ensure you get the most from your Dandelion Geothermal system.
Is Aeroseal safe?
Aeroseal is non-toxic, and has passed safety standards in independent testing labs. The primary ingredient in Aeroseal is vinyl acetate polymer, the same compound used in varieties of chewing gum. It is non-flammable and resistant to mold. Full details are available at www.aeroseal.com.
How do I get Aeroseal for my home?
If you’re ordering your new Dandelion Geothermal system, ask your sales representative to add Aeroseal to your order. If your Dandelion Geothermal system is already installed and you’re ready to add Aeroseal, give us a call at 833-GEO-4ALL or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’ve ordered Aeroseal. What can I expect?
For your safety, the home must be vacated during Aeroseal application, including pets. Please find a location for you, members of your household, and any pets for the duration of the process.
Before Aeroseal Installation
- Clear the area around your Dandelion Geothermal unit(s) for access
- Locate and uncover all air vents (move furniture if needed)
- Put away all food in sealed containers
- Cover electronics and valuables with washable or disposable sheets
- In rare cases, ductwork cleaning may be required (Aeroseal installer will determine if needed)
During Aeroseal Installation
Our crew will:
- Need to park a service truck near an entrance to your home
- Place drop cloths and other protective equipment throughout areas of the home
- Use three 20A breakers for the equipment (they may temporarily unplug other appliances)
- Remove air vents isolate your heat pump
- Apply Aeroseal
- Inspect and test ductwork
- Place air vents and clean the workspace
After Aeroseal Installation
- A scent similar to children’s school glue may be present up to 24 hours; this usually goes away overnight
- Check and adjust air vents in all rooms to accommodate for new airflow levels
- Check and adjust thermostat settings as needed
- If overspray occurs, Aeroseal is water soluble and can be cleaned with a wet washcloth
I have more questions about Aeroseal. Where can I find answers?
Aeroseal has an extensive FAQ section located on their website. If you still have questions, please reach out to us at 833-GEO-4ALL or email@example.com