How Long Has It Been Since Your Last Home Energy Audit?
Did you know the average U.S. home only uses 65% of the electricity it consumes and the other 35% is wasted because of compromised home infrastructure?
Fortunately, homeowners can take steps to reduce this waste and make their homes more energy-efficient. A home energy audit offers homeowners a cost-effective way to save money and reduce their carbon emissions. Below is everything you need to know about a home energy audit.
What is a home energy audit and how will it impact my overall annual energy costs?
A home energy audit provides a room-by-room assessment of your house to determine how much energy your home uses, where your home is losing energy, and which fixes you should prioritize to make your home more efficient and comfortable.
It looks at issues with structural components including drafts, air leaks, defective ducts, insufficient insulation, and temperature inconsistencies. An energy audit will also include an inspection of your current heating and cooling equipment. If the unit is more than 15 years old, you should consider replacing your system with a newer, more energy-efficient unit.
Energy audits are recommended every 2-3 years to ensure optimal home energy efficiency. Based on the assessment, the energy auditor will provide you with a comprehensive energy savings solution that can save you as much as 30% on your annual utility bills.
How will a home energy audit impact my future in this home?
By making certain structural improvements, you can reduce your home’s stack effect and overall heating and cooling load. This will immediately translate into lower annual HVAC operating costs which typically account for 47% of home energy use. With a more efficient house and improved thermal envelope, you will reduce the size of your next HVAC system, thereby saving you $1000s.
Once your energy audit is complete, it’s a good idea to meet with an energy consultant who can assess the specifics of your existing equipment and provide you information on upgrading to a more environmentally-friendly HVAC system.
Do you live in CT or NY? Find out what you qualify for!
If you are a CT resident and a customer of either UI or Eversource, you qualify for a free energy assessment through Energize CT. The opportunity for a free in-home assessment will last until March 31 of this year. Afterward, the $50 cost will be reinstated so the sooner the better.
If you are a NY resident, you can qualify for a free energy assessment through EmPower NY. On their website, you can learn more about the various state-funded home improvements that are offered through EmPower as well as other NYSERDA energy efficiency programs.
Don’t let high energy bills become a part of your day-to-day reality.
A home energy audit is the first step in revealing the gaps in your home’s energy efficiency. After you’ve identified the problems and made the necessary changes, you will see lower monthly bills, reduced carbon emissions, and increased comfort throughout your home.
If you are looking for other ways to reduce your home’s energy costs, consider Dandelion’s hyper-efficient home heating, central air conditioning, and hot water system.
- How does Geothermal (Ground Source) Heating Work?
- Dandelion raises $30 million funding round led by Bill Gates’ Breakthrough Energy Ventures
- Top 5 Reasons Homeowners are Ditching Oil Furnaces and Switching to Geothermal Heating and Cooling
- What is Geothermal (Ground Source) Heating?
- 8 Mind-Blowing Facts About Geothermal Heating and Cooling